• (816) 363-8600

What Happens if I’ve Lost My Car Title?

How to Get Your Car Title When it’s Lost or Misplaced

lost car title

We have all been there. No matter how careful we may be, sometimes things get lost or damaged. Losing any important document can be frustrating, but realizing you have lost or irreparably damaged your car title when trying to get a car title loan from Midwest Title Loans can be a real pain.

Fortunately, we are here to help and provide guidance in these types of situations. When facing the dilemma of a lost car title, you do have options to replace it and continue to get your car title loan from us. All that is required is a few steps, including filling out an application and finding a notary before submitting your request for a duplicate title.

What are the Requirements for Getting a Car Title Replaced in Kansas City?

Whether you have misplaced or damaged your original car title, you can receive a duplicate car title. It is as easy as filling out a form. You must first complete an Application for Missouri Title and License, otherwise known as Form 108 (you can pick up the form from any local license office or download and print the form from the Missouri Department of Revenue).

When going through the application, make sure you complete it in full to prevent delays or rejections, but hold off on signing the application! The signature will need to be done in the presence of a notary, which we will go over as the last step.

Please note that a Missouri address must be listed in the owner section of the application and be sure to mark “duplicate”, including why you need a duplicate title. The most common reason listed is as simple as misplacing the title, however, if your title has been damaged or mutilated in any way you must also return the damaged or mutilated copy with the application for a duplicate title.

Once the application is filled out in its entirety, take it to your closest notary to sign the form in their presence and have it notarized before you submit it for processing. In some cases, a notarized Lien Release (Form 4809), is also required.

Do I Need a Notarized Lien Release, Form 4809?

In most cases, you do not need a notarized Lien Release. This form is for any title that shows a lien-holder such as a bank, credit union, or anywhere that may have provided you with a loan on the vehicle in question. In such cases, request the notarized lien release from them that shows you have paid off the loan and are released from the lien. They can either use the Form 4809 mentioned or they can give you a notarized statement utilizing their letterhead to explain the lien is released.

Make sure to contact your financial institution related to any loan you may have had on the vehicle to get the additional information and the necessary documents. Confirming this in advance and having the document ready will ensure your duplicate request goes smoothly and quickly, getting you your car title loan faster.

I Filled Out the Form, Now What?

The difficult part is now over. All that is left for you to do is to submit your completed, signed, and notarized application to receive a duplicate title either through any Missouri license office or the Motor Vehicle Bureau located at 301 West High Street in Jefferson City, Missouri. A quick search on the Missouri Department of Revenue website will show you the closest license office to you, including their hours of operation. It is advisable to make an appointment to avoid spending longer than needed in the office.

Will It Cost Me Anything?

There are two small costs related to replacing your car title. There is an $8.50 duplicate title fee and a $6 processing fee for a total of $14.50. You can make cashier’s checks, money orders, and checks payable to the Missouri Department of Revenue. If you decide to use a personal check, it is required that the check shows your driver’s license number or social security number, name, telephone number, date of birth, and address. You can contact your local license office or the Motor Vehicle Bureau for additional payment information.

What Do I Do Next?

After you have submitted your request and received your duplicate title, you can come into any of our locations to see about getting your car title loan. You can do this at any of our 4 locations:

  1. 330 W. 85th Street, Kansas City, MO, 64114
  2. 6420 North Oak Trafficway, Gladstone, MO, 64118
  3. 8212 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, KS, 66204
  4. 2500 State Ave., Kansas City, KS, 66102

Getting your title loans in Kansas City and beyond has never been easier than with Midwest Title Loans. Contact us today, or visit one of our four convenient locations in Kansas City.


Comments are closed.


330 W. 85th Street
Kansas City, MO 64114
Phone: (816) 363-8600
M-F: 10:00am – 6:00pm
Sa: 8:00am – 1:00pm

6420 North Oak Trfwy
Gladstone, MO 64118
Phone: (816) 436-7711
M-F: 10:00am – 6:00pm
Sa: 9:00am – 2:00pm

8212 Metcalf Ave.
Overland Park, KS 66204
Phone: (913) 381-2222
M-F: 10:00am – 6:00pm
Sa: 9:00am – 2:00pm

2500 State Ave.
Kansas City, KS 66102
Phone: (913) 281-9997
M-F: 10:00am – 6:00pm
Sa: 9:00am – 2:00pm